Friday, February 18

Hope

One thing I tend to do is focus on the negative.  No matter how good things are going, I am sure to focus on the negative at some point.  At times it overwhelms anything good, just because I am focusing so much on the bad.  My pastor recently pointed out a great passage to me, and I have been meditating on it this week~ hoping to learn a few truths that Abraham knew.

Romans 4:18-21

 Even when there was no reason for hope, Abraham kept hoping—believing that he would become the father of many nations. For God had said to him, “That’s how many descendants you will have!” And Abraham’s faith did not weaken, even though, at about 100 years of age, he figured his body was as good as dead—and so was Sarah’s womb.  Abraham never wavered in believing God’s promise. In fact, his faith grew stronger, and in this he brought glory to God.  He was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever he promises.

It is so interesting to me the word choice here..."even when there was no reason for hope".  If I were in his situation...I would be tempted to focus on the negatives...the reasons pointing to no hope...not to mention the amount of time that passed before the promise came true...Abraham had to be faithful and believe and hope for years and years between the time that he left his homeland...received a promise, and the time Isaac came along.  It is so encouraging to know that even though there was no (earthly) reason to hope...Abraham kept hoping and believing in God's promise!  Never wavering...wow!  His faith even grew stronger?!?  This also relates to my James bible study as well...it helps me to remember how our faith is tried and tested.  This is in order to mature us and to display our faith as genuine.  A faith that is incapable of enduring trial is no faith at all.  


Oh Lord, may I bring glory to you in my own situations where there seems to be no reason for hope!  Where my flesh wants to focus on negatives, grow my faith so that may see the positives.  Help me to seek You alone for wisdom.  Help me to never waver in weak faith in trials, but to believe in You and Your power and strength always!!!  May I be fully convinced that You are able to do whatever You promise!!!  


No comments: