Saturday, January 2

And now for something completely different...

Life gets so busy sometimes I just don't have time to blog!  (I don't think that is a bad thing; I would rather be living life than blogging about it.)  But sometimes the blog just doesn't reflect everything going on in our family, which I don't like.  So I figured on this slow sick day...sniffle sniffle...that I would blog about random family things that haven't made it into posts this past year.

One thing is that Mark's mom is living with us now.  She was living in the same town as us before which was a great blessing and help to us, but then she felt called to move to South Carolina to attend a school to study and train to become a worship leader.  So she quit her full time job as a librarian and packed up or got rid of all she had, and moved into a dorm apartment up at the school.  Unfortunately the cost was too great for her to stay up there, and unable to find a job, she had to leave school and move back down here...so we offered for her to stay with us until she found a job and got back on her feet.  The economy is tough out there (as everyone knows) so she is having a hard time finding anyone who is hiring...even her old job has eliminated her position!
Anyhoo...we moved Bella into the room with James, and turned James' bunk bed into two single twins, and gave Bella's room to Susan for now.  James and Bella have had trouble going to bed in the same room because they end up playing and giggling at bed time...so we have recently seperated them again and moved Bella into our bedroom.  So far so good. 

Okay, another huge change that I haven't blogged about is that our family has changed churches.  That is a HUGE thing for us. (understatement of the year)   I am a preacher's kid that grew up in a small denomination, everybody knows everybody!!  Mark and I have been very active in our denomination as youth directors, camp directors, small group and Bible study teachers, choir directors, and on various boards.   We have led VBS, and music retreats, you get the idea.  Anyway, without getting into too many details (cause that would take forever!), we have felt led to leave the denomination and are now attending a Sovereign Grace Ministries church plant.  That was a really difficult decision we prayed long and hard about.  Everything is SOO different, which is a good thing.  I struggle sometimes, ok...alot of times actually, with all the changes and differences in the way they worship...but then at the same time I know that this is a blessing, in that I am growing sooo much being out of my comfort zone.  I have come to realize that being outside of my comfort zone is a good thing.  I have read and studied so much more...about everything!  We love the church people and are really excited about all the new changes.  We are inspired to be better parents, spouses, servants to God.  This is a very good thing!  God has answered so many of our prayers time and time again, and it is amazing to see His hand at work as we follow Him through this new pathway in our lives.

Another big change...we got rid of our TV in the living room.  Mark and I have tossed this idea back and forth for as long as the kids have been born, but we never got around to it.  We have just gotten into such a horrible unhealthy rut of watching TV all the time at night.  Mark works so hard all day, and doesn't get home late...leaving just enough time to eat dinner (on good days) and then have about an hour before going to bed.   With the TV...it's really tempting to just turn on the TV and want to relax...but there aren't too many kid friendly shows on at night, so the routine got to be, turn on the TV and send the kids to the playroom...well this wasn't good, the kids wanted to spend time with Mark and wanted to be with us...so...we are eliminating the TV for a 6 month trial run.  We moved the TV out of the room...right now it's sitting in our bedroom.  We could still plug it in and do a movie night all piled onto our bed if we want...but the main idea was to have our evenings TV free, and filled with quality family time.  (the kids still have a TV with a DVD/VCR hook up in the playroom, so they will be able to watch movies from time to time)  The family has been playing more board games and just plain playing together with their toys and such, plus Bella and James love to dance...we will turn on the music real loud and just dance.  Bella calls music "La-la's"  its too cute!  It has been such a blessing to our family to turn the TV off!!!  I wish we had done it sooner!!!  I am not saying TV is a bad thing, but it was definitely being abused at our house, so we had to do something drastic to get out of our bad habits!  Another thing I would like to start is reading a book together...maybe Narnia or something...

More totally random stuff...I am always inspired to read more around the holiday season.  I guess it is because I have more free time and I realize how much I miss it!  I used to be the biggest bookworm when I was younger and without kids.  I am the type of person that will stay up ALL night to finish a book.  So, anyhoo, I was surfing my favorite blogs the other night and stumbled across this new book club, http://thebloombookclub.blogspot.com  I think I will try it out.  Even if I don't find the time to participate in the book club, I am going to read the book!  Here's my list of books to read next...
Crazy Love by Francis Chan
Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

In one of their videos, the Bloom book club gals suggest different ways of making sure God is in your daily life...and one of the ideas that stuck out to me was starting a journal (watch their first video for a visual and more ideas)...I already have a journal that I keep my favorite verses in, and write prayers and sermon notes in... but this idea kind of combines the idea of keeping everything together...your prayer requests, scriptures you pray through for your family and other loved ones, inspiration from the books you read, etc.  Each section is devoted to a certain topic.  I was thinking I could combine the book club idea of keeping a journal with a prayer journal and just have a section for the books I read and my notes, comments, etc...So, I think a trip to the store for a brand new journal is in order!
That should keep me busy for a while...another idea I ran across the other night was a system to memorize scripture this year. http://livingproofministries.blogspot.com/2009/05/scripture-memory-team-and-conference.html (this system was started last year, but the idea is great...and I already have a spiral index card book thingy!  or who knows, maybe I should just incorporate it into my new journal...Now to choose a scripture to start out.)

Another random thing...I fell in LOVE with decoupage craftiness this Christmas season.  I made the nativity blocks first, then asked Mark to cut some more blocks...which we spray painted a deep red, sanded it down and added a gold brushed look to them for an antique look... then I modge-podged different letters on each block to create words/last names...wish I had taken pictures!!!  (again, I got too busy with the living...to do some blogging!)
I also turned plain wooden jewelry boxes into a work of art for all the nieces' Christmas gifts.  I used various scrapbook papers to cover the wood, and then painted the insides with pinks and golds.  I love Mod Podge!!!
I think my next project will be take James' old OLD dresser in his room and decorate the face of the drawers in a space theme...  I will try to remember to take pictures if I ever get to this project.  =)

Ok, well enough randomness for now...my kids are calling me....well, screaming for me...time to go!!!

No comments: