Saturday, December 11

Blessed

Words on my mind tonight...
Blessed to be a blessing

Mark and I have been blessed in so many ways this year.  
What is amazing is that the blessings are so much more evident in the contrast of the circumstances that could get one down if you focus on the wrong things.  Oh, Lord help me to see Your perspective and not my circumstances!

Isaiah 55:9

 For just as the heavens are higher than the earth,
      so my ways are higher than your ways
      and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.

In the midst of a terrible economy, Mark's business has been s.l.o.w. - at times coming to a complete stop.  He lost his 2nd job that provided us a steady income and insurance.  Mark's granddad who was as close as a dad to him died.  While trying to balance paying bills and affording food...I started having terrible debilitating pain and finally after a very long process discovered I have endometriosis and will be having surgery soon.  Taking care of the children and household has been difficult these last few months.  Our relationship has been strained through all the financial troubles, grief, and pain we are both experiencing.  Meanwhile, my sister in law's family has become a wreck.  Her husband left her last year with four young girls, and she lost her house.  Moved to our town and has gotten into the wrong crowd and her children are being neglected in so many ways.  Dfcs is now involved, and we are involved heavily trying to help care for the girls.  It is heartbreaking.  It is overwhelming at times when I don't remember Who is in charge.  When I lose my focus and turn my eyes on anything else but Him.

However, not once have we gone hungry or had a bill go unpaid.  Our relatives have been AMAZING in helping out and giving to us in our time of need.  Overwhelmingly so.  Our church family has really helped out by bringing by meals, offering to take care of the kids, etc.  God has provided a doctor willing to give a huge discount for the surgery costs.  Mark was offered a job with someone we go to church with and it has helped to make ends meet.  Our pastor has helped tremendously walk Mark through the difficult process of helping his sister, and is ready to help out with the family.  The leaders and friends of the church have been there.  family has been there.  God has provided, time and time again and again.  

Lamentations 3:22-23

 22 The faithful love of the Lord never ends!
      His mercies never cease.
 23 Great is his faithfulness;
      his mercies begin afresh each morning.

When I would get concerned about the possibility of taking on my nieces...God would provide the extra clothing and food...like...that day!  When I would lose sight of His purposes in pain and trials, God would send a friend to encourage and remind me of His word.  When I would be concerned about anything, there God was...patiently guiding, teaching, providing.
(this random lone patch of flowers was on the beach in Florida during ourThanksgiving vacation)
 Matthew 6:28-33
 28 “And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, 29 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
 31 “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs.33 Seek the Kingdom of God[a] above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

What an amazing God we serve.

And how has He provided for us?

Through people.  

People.

It is ironic that even in this season of our lives where we seem to be the "needy"...compared to the rest of the world we are still considered wealthy!  We have cars, gas, nice house with comfortable furniture, electricity, air and heat, clean running water, plenty of clothes, warm clothes for the harsh winter, doctors to go to, freedom to worship, grocery stores with an abundance of food to choose from, a government there to help out when families are in need, we have a loving family also very blessed and willing to help, friends in the same boat, I could go on f.o.r.e.v.e.r with the many blessings God has given us...SUCH WEALTH.

Not only has God provided by giving endless material blessings
but He has provided us with love and friendships.  An amazing family.  An amazing church family.

People who give their time to pray for us.  Really pray...not just say it, but do it. 

People who not only give, but ask us how we are...stay and care for us spiritually and emotionally.  They give of their lives, their time, their energy.

James 2:14-20

 14 What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? 15 Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, 16 and you say, “Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well”—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do? 17 So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.
 18 Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.”
 19 You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God.[a] Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. 20 How foolish! Can’t you see that faith without good deeds is useless?

What a blessing it is to see people give.   
It is hard to be on this end of so much receiving.  
Humbling. Pride-killing.
I feel like Peter in John 13...Jesus washing MY feet?!  No, let me wash yours!!!
I didn't expect this as I prayed for God to help me get rid of my pride.
Thank You God for lessons in humility.
 John 13:12-15
 12 After washing their feet, he put on his robe again and sat down and asked, “Do you understand what I was doing? 13 You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and you are right, because that’s what I am. 14 And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. 15 I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you.

On my mind tonight...
To follow Jesus' example and die to myself, to become a servant of others.
Lord, let me return this blessing to others.  Let me serve You by serving others.
How can I serve You today?
Blessed to be a blessing
  
Matthew 25: 35-46
35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’
 37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing?39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
 40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,[f] you were doing it to me!’
 41 “Then the King will turn to those on the left and say, ‘Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons.[g] 42 For I was hungry, and you didn’t feed me. I was thirsty, and you didn’t give me a drink. 43 I was a stranger, and you didn’t invite me into your home. I was naked, and you didn’t give me clothing. I was sick and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’
 44 “Then they will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and not help you?’
 45 “And he will answer, ‘I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.’
 46 “And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life.”

2 comments:

Joy Masopust Tucker said...

Kathryn,

I LOVE YOU! You are an amazing woman....one that I strive to be like. You are an awesome mother to James & Bella, wife to Mark, mentor and friend. I pray that the Lord continues to bless you and keep you. May He lift His countenance upon you, give you peace, make His face to shine upon you, and be ever gracious unto you. Much Love to you!

April said...

You are inspiring sister. I love you.